Monday 2 December 2019

The urgencies and the elderly








Reflections (and proposal) in the face of the impending winter emergency crisis

@varelalaf
If nothing is done, vulnerable people will increasingly go to the emergency room because of their multi-pathology, the presence of certain symptoms that are difficult to manage from home or the problems of their environment, they call 061 increasingly often. And that is how hospital emergency services become refugee camps within health systems. A clinical trial conducted in 24 French hospitals, which included more than three thousand people over 75 years of age in a clinically critical situation, showed that the centres most likely to enter older people in critical units, in addition to not reducing their long-term mortality term, neither improved their functional capacity or their quality of life.


Although there are older people, or even very old people, who can benefit from attending a critical unit, in general, emergencies and ICUs do not seem to be highly recommended places for fragile people and, therefore all possible strategies should be deployed to reduce income to strictly justified cases. Admitting that sometimes emergency trips make a lot of sense, such as with a fall or thoracic pain, but generally, the less they go the better. How, then, to avoid unnecessary trips? According to the English NHS, the number of elderly people over ninety visiting the emergency room had increased by 60% in the 2010-2016 period, a worrying upward trend given that a large percentage of them required more than x-rays, oxygen and serums The emergency services are very effective in emergencies but they do not have appropriate responses for the socio-sanitary decompensations of the very elderly or those in the advanced stage of chronic or oncological diseases.

Sir Bruce Keogh, former NHS National Medical Director, in a statement to The Telegraph, introduced the idea of external containment, that is, do everything possible in the home environment to prevent any critical or delicate situations arising in a fragile person and so avoiding them ending up in an ambulance. The proposal is most interesting, but how to achieve it? My recommendation is that emergency systems and emergency services define the "fragility code", just as they have done so brilliantly with other codes. For the definition of this new code, a prior agreement with the primary care and community social services on the most appropriate responses according to a comprehensive evaluation of each patient would be necessary, in addition to the collaboration of all available social and health resources in each territory, Therefore, the "fragility code" should offer a variant of multi-institutional responses according to each local reality.

There is no magic solution to the excess of emergency trips to the elderly, but as long as an anxious change of model does not happen, it is necessary to avoid that a call automatically equals a transfer, and it is at this point that the "fragility code" could be a valuable instrument.


Jordi Varela
Editor

7 comments:

  1. The fragility code should include an advance decision plan adapted to each case and available and applicable 24x7x365.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a
    Doctor called Dr USELU. i visited different hospital but they gave me list
    of drugs like Familiar, Virago, and Maltreat which is very expensive to treat
    the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet
    searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about
    how Doctor USELU cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the
    Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope
    of been cured of HERPES so i decided to contact him on his email, i
    searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his
    goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine
    to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now
    without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on
    his Email: (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) or CALL/ Whatsapp him (+2348132015009) and get all
    your problem solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to CURE Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDs CANCER and BIPOLAR
    3)Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)To get a good and rich life partner
    7)To Lose your wath
    8)to enlargement of pennis9) HPV CURE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suffering from herpes is a Terrible Experience which I suffered till I met a herbal doctor called Dr. KHAM. I tried all possible means to get cured but I never received cure from any of the 7 hospitals I visited.Just March,14,2018 I saw a recent post of how Dr. Kham herbal medicine cured people and that he is a honest man to work with in the procedures on finding a cure, then i contacted him in trial and he sent me a herbal medicine with the full prescription oh how to drink for two weeks and i exactly followed the guidelines that was given to me by DR. KHAM to cute the long story short the herbal medicine flushed out my whole system and make the herpes virus inactive all thanks to Dr. Kham who God is using to cure people of this terrible virus (herpes simplex virus) for anyone here that has herpes or other kinds of disease and Virus should mail all his or her complain to DR. KHAM on his email which is (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) or whats app him on +2348159922297  and you can get in touch with him on his website: drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/    

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr oyagu, in the net from a lady called Rebecca i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally free from Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR oyagu for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348101755322..
    He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
    1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete