Monday 12 April 2021

Technology helps us to be more human

Paco Miralles




"Learning to read is the most important thing that has happened to me in life," acknowledged Vargas Llosa in his speech at the reception of the Nobel Prize. I share his discernment, although I have had some more important achievements. This task is something inherent to the doctor, one of the weapons that help the indispensable humanistic aspect of medicine.

When you read Daniel Kahneman in Thinking, Fast and Slow you realize how human reasoning works. There is a system 1 that operates quickly and automatically: it involves little effort and offers little sense of control; thanks to it, we automatically answer the result of 3 + 3. And there is also system 2, which needs more attention and concentration, involves more reflection and helps us, for example, to understand (or not) the de-escalation phases of the COVID-19 epidemic.

Faced with a clinical decision, an experienced doctor recognizes the problem and the fast track starts working with a high probability of success with little effort. If the problem is not recognized, we collect information in other ways and, using a more analytical and complex method, we make a judgment that has cost us more effort and energy and that produces a slower response. The balance between the two is a must. This involves continuous wearisome and tedious vigilance. Also, it’s difficult to be persistent when the sources of information are many and changing, we move in scenarios of uncertainty, we accumulate fatigue and we rush into difficult decisions. The ideal would be to have the integration and analysis capacity of system 2 with the speed of the first system, something that to a great extent already exists, that is, the different artificial intelligence systems from which we can benefit so much in medicine.

During this epidemic, we have been learning from within the hurricane. Different scenarios have been developed with the availability of different diagnostic tests. On many occasions, the increase in the arsenal of tests gave doctors less certainty, not only because of their interpretation but also because of the dubious quality of the material. The literature is providing multiple articles and reviews to help clinicians understand its operation and interpret its results. It’s clear that certain specialities are more familiar with these tests, but it’s also true that their interpretation is going to be globalized in all specialities.

Eric Topol exposes the luddites - those artisans of the early nineteenth century who destroyed machines to avoid the unemployment they would cause - in medicine (see post). In his book Deep Medicine, he relates how artificial intelligence should help doctors stop doing jobs that a machine can develop. And we could use the extra time to recover the lost humanism.

This approach seemed like a perfect scenario to try to develop a system that would help us in the diagnosis of patients infected by COVID-19. Until now, some tools help discern if the clinical picture was suggestive of infection, most of them focused on patients as instruments for their initial triage.

Some weeks later, and thanks to the collaboration with Presentyis, we developed a chatbot (virtual assistant) that directs the doctor through a series of questions about the case and indicates the diagnosis and the stage of transmissibility in which the patient is. The robot is called IMPAI and it’s a machine that collects all possible options combining the type of symptoms with their evolution and the availability or not of diagnostic tests. It also offers us options to assess asymptomatic patients who contacted confirmed patients.

We have carried out its development in open source with free accessibility for all healthcare personnel who need it. This type of code allows other people to improve the application so that it becomes a participatory project. We hope that this tool is the seed of a larger project and many others to come. The results matrix is based on clinical experience and the published document by the Ministerio de Sanidad y la Sociedad Española de Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiología Clínica and is the soul of a system based on artificial intelligence, the chatbot.

So far it has been widely accepted by professionals. Proof of this is the high number of entries and the endorsement granted by the Sociedad Española de Medicina Interna, the Colegio de Médicos de Málaga and the Consejo Andaluz de Colegios de Médicos. Therefore, the initial objective has been fulfilled: to provide help to our colleagues in the nightmare that we are living. Through this link, you can access the use of IMPAI.

They say that what is priceless is not valued. People who have read some of my previous posts know that I defend value medicine. For this reason, I don’t offer this tool altruistically but, in return, I ask that the time that this application can save us, we dedicate it to humanize medicine, to read and enjoying time with our families.

Link to blog Doctor Miralles

5 comments:

  1. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.Oyagu website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise Martha, Mignon Wright and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.Oyagu so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR. Oyagu for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com thank you'll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.









      Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.

      Delete
  2. It's hard to find a genuine Herbalist These days , because there are so many Of them flaunting and parading themselves to be Herbal Practitioners. This made me Succumb to the fact that I will never be cured of Herpes Virus 2 , which I have been battling since August 16 2018. I became a loner, Afraid of dying as well. Earlier this Year 2021 i came to find out about numerous testimonies Recommending a Certain Herbalist , Who goes by the name of RAZOR. I ignored them because I never believed in Them. I finally decided to reach out to him when a distant Nephew of mine, Whom i never told or knew i had herpes Virus 2, Got cured From Epilepsy And Sickle cell, I thought at once he might be of help . So I contacted him and I can tell you today that I have been very proud of myself for making the move to contact him, I finally got cured of herpes virus 2 with the Herbal medicine Herbalist Razor Sent to me. After years of Suffering from this virus, I am finally permanently cured. God bless You so Much sir . Contact him on his Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com . You can Write him on Whatsapp/Call him Directly on +234 90 6542 0442

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.







    Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete