Monday 1 March 2021

Patient safety and iatrogenesis

Andreu Segura




Among the most important public health problems today, the harmful effects associated with clinical and health care practice stand out, the relevance of which is unquestionable given their impact and, above all, their aetiology. Hence the development of the so-called patient safety strategy, the purpose of which is to limit as much as possible the damage that medical and health care interventions can cause provided that such damage can be avoided.

Panagioti et al. published a systematic review and a meta-analysis of the studies registered in Medline, PubMed, PsycINFO, Cinahly Embase, WHOLIS, Google Scholar and SIGLE from January 2000 to January 2019 intending to quantify systematically the prevalence, severity, and nature of avoidable harm to patients cared for in services that provide medical care around the world.

Precisely one of the most original characteristics of the study is the choice of avoidable damage as a dependent variable, an approach that meant restricting the sample to almost 1% since the classification of damage as avoidable did not correspond to the same criteria according to each investigation. In any case, of the more than 7,000 papers initially reviewed, 70 could finally be included with a total of 337,025 patients. Among them, the global prevalence of avoidable damage was 6% of the patients, that is, one affected out of every 17 treated, two of whom had suffered serious damage. 25% of the preventable damages were associated with medication and 24% with other treatments, which are among those most frequently provided in the specialities of surgery and intensive care. (1)

The authors are aware that the international patient safety policy promotes placing avoidable damage as the main objective of safety actions. They are also well aware of the very few quality improvement initiatives specifically targeting incidents of preventable harm rather than harm in general (avoidable or not), as suggested by so many studies of the first selection have been ruled out. Therefore, they focus on stimulating the growth of strategies with an empirical base specifically contrasted and aimed at preventable harm to the patient, since they would logically lead to improvements in the quality of care that could also be more efficient. 

Geoffrey Rose (1926-1993)
and Roses’s strategy of preventive medicine (1992)
Limiting actions to those that are supposedly most effective recalls in a certain way the dilemma raised by Geoffrey Rose in his preventive medicine strategy (2) when he compared the advantages and disadvantages of global prevention aimed at the whole population with that of prevention limited to high-risk groups. 

Acting against all causes of all possible harm isn’t comparable to the population strategy for the prevention of many chronic diseases, since we know that some harmful effects of medical and health interventions are inseparable from the benefit they seek. The only way to avoid all the damage attributable to clinical and health interventions would be not to carry them out, following the famous aphorism advocated by Chomel and attributed to Hippocrates or Galen: Primum non-nocere. If the aim is to not harm, it’s better to do nothing, because it’s not possible to guarantee the safety of any of the large number of prophylactic, diagnostic, therapeutic or rehabilitative measures that exist 100% of the time. The current advocates of medical nihilism (3), whose historical antecedents go back to Skoda and the Vienna school (4), insist on this fantasy of total harmlessness. A drastic approach that, of course, would mean giving up the benefits that are really due to the interventions undertaken.

Therefore, it’s essential to recognize the avoidable harmful effects. According to Nabhan, avoidable harmful effects are "those that result from an identifiable and modifiable cause, whose future recurrence can be avoided through a reasonable adaptation of the process or adherence to the appropriate guidelines" (5). But this definition doesn’t enjoy universal consensus, mainly because the notion of an avoidable harmful effect is circumstantial since what was not avoidable yesterday may be so today.

This limitation doesn’t have to amend the strategic proposal, since it’s about reducing the damage as much as possible without giving up the desired benefits. However, too often, the benefit sought isn’t sufficient to expose the patient or the public to the risk of potential harm that –more often than it seems– is the consequence of overdiagnosis. We should remember here that even when making mistakes is human, it’s also human to be ashamed of it and even to deny yourself. For this reason, it may also be appropriate in this case to follow Rose's global approach, remembering that the excessive population decline in risk factors can also be detrimental.

The term "patient safety" to refer to the prevention of the potentially harmful effects of clinical and health care practice may therefore not be the most appropriate. Not only because of the difficulty of distinguishing avoidable harmful effects from those that are not, even if they may be in the future, but also because it focuses, even by evocation, on errors and bad practice - even if it’s systemic - as the main aetiology, when perhaps the medical and health care interventionism that encourages indiscriminate consumerism is more decisive. 

Hence the recourse to the slightly older, but not obsolete, concept of iatrogenesis (6) which, according to the dictionary, is what doctors do, particularly if it’s harmful. Although the harm associated with clinical and health care practice isn’t limited to medicine, its central role in health care can be used as a symbol of the whole and, perhaps more importantly, its meaning isn’t reduced to errors and bad practices that, although to err is human, they don’t invite us to recognize them.


Bibliography

(1) Panagioti M, Khan K, Keers RN, Abuzour A, Phipps D, Kontopantelis E, Bower P, Campbell S, Haneef R, Avery AJ, Ashcroft DM. Prevalence, severity, and nature of preventable patient harm across medical care settings: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2019; 366: l4185.  
(2) Rose G. The strategy of Preventive Medicine. Oxford University Press, 1993, 160 p.
(3) Stenga J. Medical Nihilism. Oxford University Press, 2018, 227 p. 
(4) Sakula A. Joseph Skoda 1805-81: a centenary tribute to a pioneer of thoracic medicine. Thorax 1981; 36: 404–11.
(5) Nabhan M, Elraiyah T, Brown DR et al. What is preventable harm in the health care? A systematic review of definitions. BMC Health Serv Res 2012; 12: 128.
(6) Segura A. La iatrogenia en atención primaria. FMC. 2019;26(10):529-31.

5 comments:

  1. Dr Kham herbal medicine is the best cure for herpes1&2. I saw a post in a health forum from Woman Like me name Lucy Morgan on how she was cured from herpes with the help of Herbalist Dr Kham Herbal medication and she also wrote Dr Kham cure all kind of deadly diseases and virus including Herpes, HIV, ALS, HPV, HSV1&2, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Vaginal infection, Diabetes. At first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try because i was desperate to get cured from herpes and i contacted this herbal Doctor on email (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) she provided on the comment and explain my problem to him and he told me that he is going to prepare a herbal medicine for me which he did and he sent it to me through UPS service, when i receive this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, after taken the medicine as instructed for two weeks, I went for check up and the result was Negative and i went to two other clinic to retested and the result was still Negative and all the symptoms of herpes where gone from my body when i was in five[5] days in the herbal medication and my doctor confirm with me that am free from herpes , I am now free from Herpes.You can contact Dr Kham on his email: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or you can call/Whatsapp him on +2348159922297. His website is https://herbal-dr-kham.jimdosite.com All thanks to Dr Kham for what he has just done for me and I will continue to share this great testimony on every platform so we can join hands to eradicate these diseases and viruses out of this world.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.Oyagu website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise Martha, Mignon Wright and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.Oyagu so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.Oyagu for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.









    Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.









    Herbal medicine is 100% guaranteed to cure HSV 1&2 Totally, The main reason why lots of people are finding it difficult to get cured from HERPES disease and some other deadly disease like ALS,HPV,CANCER DIEBETICE etc. is because lots of people believe in medical Surgery and drugs made of chemicals which cause more damages to the body system, Natural Vegetable herbal medicine is best and effective with no side effects, I've used it and it worked perfectly for me and my Husband so I'm recommending y'all with such illness or infection Problem to contact Dr. Aziba WhatsApp via +2348100368288 or Email : priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com for Natural Herbal Medicine to help you get cured without surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm recommending Dr. ERO IRABOR to everyone who have herpes virus to get the cure from him. I was diagnose of genital herpes in 2014 and I have been searching and asking questions to see if I could get something to cure the disease because I didn't believe what the doctor said that no cure is found yet. I came across a comment on Facebook and the person testify how she was cured from herpes and hvp after using Dr. Ero Irabor herbal medicine. I quickly contact Dr email dreromoncaregiver@gmail.com and explain my problem to him and he prepare the herb's and send it to me through the UPS delivery service and gave me instructions on how to use it and tell me to go for checkup after usage which I did after two weeks of taken the herbal medicine and my result was NEGATIVE. I waited another month and the retested the result was still NEGATIVE and the doctor told me that am completely free from herpes. Am so happy and grateful to Dr. Ero Irabor for what he has done for me and I will continue to share this.. For Those Of You Who Need Help You Here vai His Whatsapp Number +2348140916349

    ReplyDelete