Monday 16 November 2020

À la recherche du temps perdu

Alexandre Lourenço 


Portuguese studies from different entities have showed excess mortality from causes unrelated to COVID-19 since early April 2020. Entities like the National School of Public Health, the Faculty of Medicine of Porto, or the Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon have warned about this trend. Later, the Portuguese National Statistics Institute has confirmed it.

The response to COVID-19 has limited the regular provision of healthcare and the postponement of elective healthcare services has led to significant losses in the health and well-being of populations. In April, we called for creating conditions for resuming the regular health services in an organised and coordinated way, through a dual-track NHS. By this time, tens of thousands of surgeries and hundreds of thousands of consultations have been cancelled.

On 7 May, the Portuguese Minister of Health determined through an order that “primary care and hospital services must ensure the identification and rescheduling of all programmed assistance activity not carried out due to the pandemic COVID-19”. On 6 June, through a Resolution of the Council of Ministers, a couple of measures were approved to resume the activity, through incentives to professionals: 7.7 million euros to “recover all the lost first hospital consultations” and 26 million euros for “recovery of 25% of the surgical activity”. After several insistences, in full summer vacation, precisely on 14 July, an ordinance was published that allowed hospitals to apply the incentives to healthcare professionals’ teams.

Comparing accumulated activity until July 2020 with 2019, we found a large reduction:

• Primary care: 

  • 38% less face-to-face medical visits
  • 34% less home medical visits 
  • 21% less nursing visits 

• Hospital care:

  • 14% less hospital medical visits (includes phone calls) 
  • 24% less surgeries 

• Emergency care: 

  • 18% less urgent cases
  • 21% less very urgent cases
  • 27% less critical cases

Unlike face-to-face encounters, virtual care rocketed. In the same period in primary care, non-face-to-face medical contacts soared 71% and non-face-to-face nursing contacts climbed 54%. In hospitals, telemedicine consultations increased by 40%.

On the other hand, in emergency services, we observed abnormal growth at the level of standard or non-urgent episodes. It has been suggested that this growth is due to the lack of access to primary health care. Lack of access that implies a reduction in referrals for first hospital consultations and, consequently, surgical proposals and other therapeutic plans. However, we have not seen initiatives for the resume of primary care activity.

Aware of the problem, on 8 September, the Portuguese Association of Hospital Managers and the Medical Doctors Association, with Roche’s support, launched the Movement “Health in Day — Don’t Mask Your Health” to appeal to patients not to postpone their visit to health services. We also developed a national survey to understand why patients were not accessing health services and another study about health services activity.

In this sequence, we made public the Ministry of Health’s activity data hitherto undisclosed, carried out a population survey to understand behaviour and motivations, and launched the challenge to a group of experts to present measures. On 29 September, we publicly presented the results and a set of comprehensive actions.

Between 2 March, the date on which the first cases with COVID-19 disease were diagnosed, and 18 October, 72 519 deaths were registered in Portugal, 7936 more deaths than the average, in the same period, the past five years. Of these, 27.5% (2,198) died from COVID-19.

The window of opportunity has passed. Now we are facing a new growth of the COVID-19 pandemic, and we are once again “under fire”. Leadership, coordination, and solidarity are required. All Ministries of Health across Europe should consider non-COVID-19 services as essential, investigate the causes of excess mortality and take advantage to review low-value clinical practices, creating the conditions to leave no one behind. 

6 comments:

  1. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone, sharing this testimony is my greatest happiness also to let every patient know there is cure to get rid of human papillomavirus. I was once a HPV patient for a very long time. I have been taking medications because my doc in Canada told me there is no cure except pills to control it which I have been taking. Until I found a faithful and truthful herbalist who finally cured me with herbal remedy. Everything about the virus was gone, my genital warts I have been trying to remove, they all cleared off. Here is the herbalist information to reach him via : oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348101755322 his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome. Dr Oyagu is great and very kind to every patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2016. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which I come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I’ve been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don’t be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome you will be lucky as I am today

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2016. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which I come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I’ve been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don’t be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome you will be lucky as I am today

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herbal cure for herpes virus and other deadly diseases. I used to be positive with herpes virus but am completely negative now with the help of DR KHAM  Herbs. I got to know about DR KHAM and he sent me a herbal medicine that I took for two weeks and now I am completely Negative of herpes virus without any side effects or complaints. Contact DR KHAM for a cure to all diseases and I am sure you will find a complete solution with him. Email: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or Whatsapp: +2348159922297 You can Also Visit his website to know more about him at > https://herbal-dr-kham.jimdosite.com for more information about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to anyone reading this true life story of mine, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year, And I Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr Odion Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr Odion I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me, I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health. He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative. My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr Odion To Help You Too, And Help Me To Thank Dr Odion For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. Odion Herbal Medicine, His Contact Email: [drodionherbalhome12@gmail.com ] Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2349019421176 thank you

    ReplyDelete