Monday 11 November 2019

We ask patients to change their habits, but what about us?

Anna Sant


The management of cultural change is one of the most critical factors in the implementation of programs to improve the quality, safety and experience of the patient. The same thing that happens to our patients when we ask them to modify their behaviour to have a healthier life happens to health professionals in our work environment: it’s not easy for us to change the way we do things.

In the process of change, there is a particular moment in which we already know the correct protocols, and we are clear about the systems and behaviours that we must address. Even so, after an initial period of systematic implementation, we tend to return to old routines, those that seem more natural and familiar to us.


Changing behaviours implies leaving old habits and reflecting on how to do things differently. We know that not washing our hands sufficiently, prescribing penicillin without a proper allergy check or not going often to see how the patient is doing, can compromise clinical safety.

We also know that if we don’t treat the patients with respect, if we forget to explain what we are going to do in each moment of his care circuit or if we continue to insist that we know what is best for them, but without taking them into account, we can compromise the trust they need to place in us. Trust is essential to learning about patient's needs, expectations and fears to manage their health properly.

And why don't we find the change easy? Once the communication starts, the projects, actions, calendars and budgets have been approved, and the relevant training has been carried out, why don't things happen as we want? Why, after an initial time of motivation for change, things return to being as before? We forget to ask the patients, and we again assume that they know the processes well, the guidelines for the shared decision are diluted, and we no longer use the control systems we had designed. The answer could be that we focus too much on the process of analysis, diagnosis and design of improvement actions, but we need to analyze what are the main barriers that will influence this change in behaviour.

The Improvement Academy in 2016 has raised the same question. This entity, founded in 2013 by a team of scientists, clinicians and patient safety experts, aims to improve clinical quality and safety in the United Kingdom. To achieve this, they interviewed 200 professionals and health managers of the National Health Service to find out what happens in their organizations when a change and transformation project is being considered.

The contributions of the study led the academy to design and launch a program based on the psychological theory of Behavioural Change, whose main objective is to help health organizations implement cultural changes and innovations in an effective, safe and lasting way. It includes the realization of workshops aimed at professionals and health managers, as well as a toolkit and good practices for the success of the implementation of change projects. The program facilitates the analysis of barriers and detects the actionable levers to generate and make the desired change last as smoothly as possible.

The Yorkshire Patient Experience Toolkit, for example, is a package of tools and resources that allows patient experience project coordinators to address the main challenges facing their work teams.

One of the tools included in a simple methodological guide in six phases to transform patient feedback (collected in surveys, online opinion monitoring, focus groups, etc.) into concrete improvement actions:
  1. Collaboration: the creation of a multidisciplinary team that includes health managers, patient care staff and clinicians
  2. Feedback collection: compilation of all the information about the patient's opinion that we have to date, and implementation of new mechanisms to listen to the current patient
  3. Make sense of the data: the systematization of the data collected to draw conclusions and lines of work
  4. Priority definition: agree on priority work issues and “celebrate” those things that patients tell us we do well
  5. Foster change: ideation, project creation and communication to other teams
  6. Evaluation: use the new patient feedback to evaluate the impact of the actions implemented, identify new challenges and establish a process of continuous improvement


Another toolkit is a dossier of case studies that include the description of the challenges, solutions and results obtained in each project, and which is accompanied by a list of general recommendations to facilitate the implementation of projects.

Having had the opportunity to live up close to some of the difficulties that the teams that have the arduous task of implementing the projects are in the midst of their busy day-to-day care, I think it’s necessary and highly advisable to develop project manuals, kit of tools and training capsules that help professionals not give up on the management of cultural change and innovation in their health centres.

7 comments:

  1. Life is always beautiful when you have good health. For almost a year had Hpv and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Onokun who helped me cure my Hpv and today I am free from Hpv and very healthy thank you so much Dr Onokun Email him via: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Oyagu, i came in contact with his email through a friend in UK and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV to contact him if you willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through this email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348101755322
    He also cured my friend with HIV and ever since then i strongly believe he can do all things. Don't be deceived thinking he does not work, i believe if you can get in contact with this man all your troubles will be over. i have done my part in spreading the good news. Contact him through his email and you will be the next to testify of his great work.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suffering from herpes is a Terrible Experience which I suffered till I met a herbal doctor called Dr. KHAM. I tried all possible means to get cured but I never received cure from any of the 7 hospitals I visited.Just March,14,2018 I saw a recent post of how Dr. Kham herbal medicine cured people and that he is a honest man to work with in the procedures on finding a cure, then i contacted him in trial and he sent me a herbal medicine with the full prescription oh how to drink for two weeks and i exactly followed the guidelines that was given to me by DR. KHAM to cute the long story short the herbal medicine flushed out my whole system and make the herpes virus inactive all thanks to Dr. Kham who God is using to cure people of this terrible virus (herpes simplex virus) for anyone here that has herpes or other kinds of disease and Virus should mail all his or her complain to DR. KHAM on his email which is (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) or whats app him on +2348159922297  and you can get in touch with him on his website: drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/    

    ReplyDelete

  5. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete

  6. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete
  7. DR OYAGU herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. My name is MIGNON WRIGHT , am from USA,I am here to give my testimony about DR OYAGU who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR OYAGU, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR OYAGU cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative, I pray to God to never let me and my family forget you in our life,am now cured permanently, you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need this doctor help, you can reach him now his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or via whatsapp +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete