Monday 21 October 2019

The early diagnosis of colorectal cancer, thirty years later








@varelalaf
Health systems have long-planned population programs for the early detection of certain cancers through diagnostic techniques arising from the clinical setting, such as prostate-specific antigen (PSA), mammograms, ultrasound or the study of faecal occult blood that is the case at hand. This issue is generating confusion in society because one thing is to take care of one's health and the other, quite different, is to undergo medical tests to discover tumours in their early stages. On the other hand, discomforts are also generated among professionals, because it’s not the same to treat patients who seek help for health problems, than to propose extensive tests to the healthy population.


Live more?

Thirty years after starting a randomized clinical trial with 46,551 people 50 to 80 years old in the US Veterans Administration, in which one-third of the participants did not follow any particular program, one third had a faecal occult blood test every two years, and one last third had the test every year, the result, according to the article "Long-Term Mortality after Screening for Colorectal Cancer", showed that while in the first group 295 people died of colorectal cancer, in the second 237 people died and in the third group, only 200 died. Therefore, the relative risk reductions were 24% and 35% respectively. Very significant figures.


The study also shows often disregarded evidence in this type of evaluation, and that is that long-term mortality in older people is very high, which tends to dilute the final results of actions as specific as those of preventive programs for colorectal cancer. The point is that of the 46,551 people studied, after thirty years, 33,020 had died, 70.9% was distributed in almost equal parts among the three groups, which showed a relative risk of dying from any cause that, once adjusted the indicators, it was identical.

People’s perception about quality of life is a very personal issue, but what we know for sure is that the participants of the two intervention groups had more dependence on the health system, more risks of overdiagnoses and more extractions of suspicious polyps. With the figures in hand, we must admit that thanks to therapeutic actions in more early stages, some people survived more colorectal cancer, but this success dissolved in the context of relatively associated high mortality, so it could not be counted in the global calculation.

It’s understandable that with age, we become obsessed with preventing severe diseases and embrace all the preventive proposals that come to us from the health system, but considering the results of the mentioned study, and others of the same style, I think it’s more advisable, and healthy, to simply embrace the life we ​​have left positively, although, at this point, everyone knows what's best for them.


Jordi Varela
Editor

3 comments:

  1. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete
  3. DR OYAGU herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. My name is MIGNON WRIGHT , am from USA,I am here to give my testimony about DR OYAGU who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR OYAGU, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR OYAGU cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative, I pray to God to never let me and my family forget you in our life,am now cured permanently, you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need this doctor help, you can reach him now his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or via whatsapp +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete