Monday 24 December 2018

On the subject of continuity of care in hospitals








Last week we debated how the longitudinal continuity of primary care affects the comings and goings of chronic patients to emergency services. Along this line, I would like to explore the difficulties that hospitals have in guaranteeing ongoing health care services especially at night and at weekends, and how this problem weighs on services when taking care of the most vulnerable groups.

Imagine that a frail person enters a hospital due to acute decom-pensation, according to the known evidence, a global geriatric eva-luation and an individualized therapeutic plan should be deve-loped in agreement with the primary care team, if the desired outcome is to have a reasonable chance of returning home as soon as possible and in the best possible condition. The problem originates in that the hospitals, not even the best of them, are able to give a continuous response to patients as described, since the usual medical equipment usually offers a continuous coverage of only 27% (From a 5 day week of 8 to 5). What happens in the remaining 73% of time (evenings, nights and weekends)? As our imaginary patient, although you would enjoy medical coverage on duty, the service you will receive is very likely far from guaranteeing the continuity necessary for the fulfilment of your personalized plan.

Weekends and mortality

Several studies (Barba 2006, Marco 2010) have warned that pa-tients admitted on weekends have a hi-gher risk of dying than those admitted during the week. Now, two meta-analyzes (Ho-shijima 2017, Pauls 2017), the first with 88 studies and 57 million records and the second with 97 studies and 51 million records, corro-borate the previous findings showing death rates due to the weekend effect that could become almost 20% higher. There is no agreement between the researchers as to the causes of the phenomenon. An English study (Walker 2017), through an adjustment for clinical complexity, concludes that, with their data in hand, it’s difficult to attribute the poor results of the weekends to the supposed structural deficits of the hospitals (less templates or inexperienced professionals) and that more should be noted in the characteristics of patients who go to the emergency room on weekends or in the restrictions of community services. 

Discontinuity: a structural deficit

The large number of elderly and frail individuals who end up being admitted is making it clear that hospitals are governed by a fragmented model that is unable to respond satisfactorily to the needs of the most vulnerable. The persistence of immobility is surprising, especially when the recipe is well-known and proven: it’s a question of ensuring that when older people are admitted, they are offered a service in line with what they are receiving in the community, and that is why it’s necessary for the hospitals with multidisciplinary teams; the general practitioners, advanced practice nurses and social workers connected with their community colleagues, must share all the decisions they make, not only with the patients themselves and their families, but also with the primary care professionals.

The example of mortality studies during weekends is a reflection of a fundamental problem, since without guarantees of continuity of care; hospitals don’t have the most basic of conditions to be able to offer appropriate services to the vulnerable.


Jordi Varela
Editor

3 comments:

  1. Suffering from herpes is a Terrible Experience which I suffered till I met a herbal doctor called Dr. KHAM. I tried all possible means to get cured but I never received cure from any of the 7 hospitals I visited.Just March,14,2018 I saw a recent post of how Dr. Kham herbal medicine cured people and that he is a honest man to work with in the procedures on finding a cure, then i contacted him in trial and he sent me a herbal medicine with the full prescription oh how to drink for two weeks and i exactly followed the guidelines that was given to me by DR. KHAM to cute the long story short the herbal medicine flushed out my whole system and make the herpes virus inactive all thanks to Dr. Kham who God is using to cure people of this terrible virus (herpes simplex virus) for anyone here that has herpes or other kinds of disease and Virus should mail all his or her complain to DR. KHAM on his email which is (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) or whats app him on +2348159922297  and you can get in touch with him on his website: drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/    



    ReplyDelete

  2. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete