On the other hand, Prasad and Cifu, in the book, propose to significantly modify the training programs in medical schools, in order to train new physicians that are more demanding with regards to scientific rigor, more critical of practices with poor value, more sensitive to the needs of patients and more oriented to the evaluation of results. The proposed formula is very simple: the clinical sciences should be the priority, while the basic ones (as we understand them today) should be complementary. It’s not about studying models and then checking them (current system), but about doing it the other way around: from the findings of the clinic, doctors should review (or accept) the theories. Given the importance of the proposal, we thought it appropriate to organize, in the same framework of the Conference, a second debate moderated by Xavier Bayona, with three academic authorities in the training of doctors: Francesc Cardellach (Universitat de Barcelona), Ramon Pujol (Universitat de Vic - UCC) and Milagros García Barbero, president of the Sociedad Española de Educación Médica and, logically, also inviting Vinay Prasad to join them.
The program of the Conference is attached, with the clear purpose of encouraging all readers to register, because nobody should miss out on the opportunity to listen to and pose questions to Vinay Prasad and all invited speakers.
- Clinical Management Section – Catalan Healthcare Management Society
- IDIBAPS. Institut d’Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer
- Centre de Recerca en Economia i Salut (CRES) – Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Institute for Healthcare Management - ESADE
- Agency for Health Quality and Assessment of Catalonia (AQuAS)
- Hospital Clínic de Barcelona
- Aragonese Institute of Health Sciences
- Catalan Society of Family Medicine (CAMFIC)
- Catalan Society of Cardiology
- Catalan Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Catalan Society of Traumatology and Orthopedic Surgery
- Cochrane Iberoamérica
- Unió Catalana d’Hospitals
- Consorci de Salut i Social de Catalunya