Monday 27 July 2015

Low cost medicine "made in India"


By Josep Mª Monguet


On 25th February, the first building of the Health City hospital complex which plans to grow up to 2,000 beds and be accredited by the JCI, offer all kinds of advanced tertiary health services and even open their own university, was inaugurated in the Cayman Islands. But what really draws the attention towards all of this is the origin of the initiative, which is none other than innovation in the health business model from India. Between 2001 and 2012, Narayana Health, a project led by Dr. Devi Shetty evolved from a 300-bed hospital in Bangalore to an aggregate of 6,000 beds in 17 hospitals, 80,000 patients and 3,500 interventions per month. And now they have switched their antipodes to enter the global market, offering, via a one and a half hour flight from the United States, open-heart surgery, prosthesis or neurosurgery, for obviously very competitive prices.


In November 2013, four months before opening the hospital in the Cayman Islands, professors Vijay Govindarajan (Dartmouth College) and Ravi Ramamurti (North eastern University) published in Harvard Business Review an openly inspiring article, “Delivering world-class health care affordably”, exposing the what, how, when and why of this brilliant project, which the authors interpreted as a mixture of Sputnik syndrome and patriotic pride. While in Spain it’s politically incorrect to use the terms business and health within the same sentence, the Indians who need it more, came up with the low cost of medicine, which is nothing but a necessity turned into a virtue. In this circumstance, excellence in innovation is largely the result of having to deal with the health needs of a large population, some of whom live in extreme poverty.

It is widely acknowledged that the current model of health care system is unsustainable and that while it seems a contradiction, what we should achieve is to get more and better health services while reducing the cost. Expressed in terms of a business model, this can only be achieved by increasing the value of health activities and, therefore, perhaps we should redefine the concept of value in health, with much more emphasis on the overall productivity of the service. How long can national health systems be kept outside the global market? In practice, health services in western countries have some kind of virtual tariff protection. Surely it’s not a short term issue, but all protected markets sooner or later end up falling, and the success of the Narayana Health project is due, according to experts, to the fact that they have adopted a set of best practices that act in a combined manner:
  • Deploying a highly specialized coordinated hub structure with small rural clinics. This allows them to optimize resources and, as they say, make them boom.
  • Optimize the distribution of tasks between professionals. The few available doctors have a productivity double that of their counterparts in the West. For example, the surgeon only deals with the technical side, while other jobs are for nurses.
  • Promoting savings and the use of resources, which is a widespread custom in India.
  • Developing a compensation model for physicians in accordance with the interests of the system.
What can we do to innovate more and better? What are our strengths? What opportunities are we not seeing? Surely, just like the Indians, we need to find out what our calling is, but for this we must clarify whether we want to go in that direction. Without wishing it, surely we can’t achieve it.

6 comments:

  1. Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Oyagu, i came in contact with his email through a friend in UK and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV to contact him if you willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through this email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348101755322
    He also cured my friend with HIV and ever since then i strongly believe he can do all things. Don't be deceived thinking he does not work, i believe if you can get in contact with this man all your troubles will be over. i have done my part in spreading the good news. Contact him through his email and you will be the next to testify of his great work.



    ReplyDelete


  2. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to let every one know that HPV is a serious and deadly disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with HPV is by taking natural herbs medicine for it to flushes out the virus and is only few American doctors that know about this herbal medicine from doctor Afrid a great herbalist doctor. I have read about Dr Afrid the great herbalist doctor from African who can cure HPV with his powerful herbal medicine. for the people suffering from the following diseases Epilepsy, Hiv, Herpes, Cancer, Als, Hepatitis, Diabetes, Hpv,Infections ETC should contact him for his herbal medicine because his herbal medicine cured all kinds of diseases or virus, i am telling you all this because i am a living testimony and i was cured of Hpv. and my child was cured of epilepsy. Although, i sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which i took for two weeks and today when i went for test i was tested Hpv negative. you can reach him through his EMAIL;[drafridherbalhome@gmail.com] And you can also whatsapp/call him through his number +2349057260738 or visit his website at https://dr-afrid-herbal-home.webnode.com/  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete